Nearly 3/4 of my “up north” vacation is over…and with it about the same amount of my summer. My Internet connectivity has been limited (which, retrospectively is a very good thing), except for ventures to the outside world (read: Starbucks) and borrowed time on K’s laptop.
Highlights so far include:
– My first time strawberry picking.
– Sleeping in…a lot. To the point that getting up for school might prove to be difficult.
– Reading a lot. In week 2 I believe I read 5 books…a few of them were re-reads, but it was great. I’ve slowed down.
– Running. My attitude hasn’t been good about that, though.
– Baking. Nothing new yet, but a couple standards. I’m hoping to try a French Silk pie next week to wrap up the month on a deliciously creamy note.
– Furniture. K and I went to Ikea (so glad that store isn’t even close to where I live…not because I want it all, but I think spending more time there would allow me to rationalize more frequent, small purchases) and I bought a chair for my room, marking the first piece of furniture I have ever picked out and paid for. It has a footstool, too.
– Navigating on my own. My understanding of the geography here is VERY limited (partially because the river does some winding around the part of the cities K lives in, even though I’m accustomed to a north/south river), and K’s pencil drawn maps for me have been sufficient. I also got myself to Rochester for a surprise rendezvous with a friend there (driving through the craziest rainstorm!).
– Perspectives Coordinating Workshop. Though there isn’t any concrete plan for a class in I-town, this workshop was a good refresher of why the class is so important to me, and inspires me to pursue it regardless of plans not-yet-nailed-down. I’m hoping to inquire about Des Moines.
Other things on my mind have been some school dabblings (Kodály mostly), knitting, and lazy times with Karen. 🙂
This has been the most refreshing break in some time…not too structured, and yet not boring, either. I’m looking forward to getting the most out of the remaining 10 or so days here and am SO grateful for the time spent.